Saturday, January 20, 2007

Trucks and Tchaikovsky

It's with mixed feelings that I write this post.

For months and months Kyle and Owen loved to "roll cars with Papi." That meant they we would sit on the floor in the kitchen and roll cars (or trucks) back and forth. In the beginning they were pretty lousy at it - but at that point they were just over a year old, so it was to be expected. But over time they became more and more accurate and our antics became more and more involved.

We made ramps and tunnels. We used multiple cars. We opened the doors of the cars, we caused crashes "watch out car coming!" In my view of the world it was totally delightful. I loved it and cherish it.

This evening, we rolled cars for about 2 minutes before they were ready to move on to something else - that did not involve me. My boys are growing up. Maybe it's a phase, maybe they are ready to move on.

On the other hand, before bed, both boys sat on my lap at my computer and listened to music with me - loud music.

We listened to Overture to Candide by Bernstein, Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland and... and... The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky - THE WHOLE THING. Not bad for 2.5 year olds. I am really psyched - because they were really into it. And this was for two boys who much prefer running and jumping to sitting.

So, one door closes, another opens. It's always something new and different, that's for sure!

No comments: