Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mr. Complimentary & Mr. Inclusivity



Two Things I'm Lovin' About My Boyz Lately:
First, I should premise this by saying that actually both of these things are true about both of my boys. It is just that Owen does the first a bit more than Kyle, and Kyle does the second a bit more than Owen. I just want to be clear, though, that they both do these things regularly (like, all the time lately; like, multiple times every day)...
Second, I have to say that as much as we'd love to be able to take credit for these two things (because I sincerely think they are extremely admirable characteristics), Braydon and I actually did not teach them these things (at least not in any explicit way that we are consciously aware of). These two things are all Kyle and Owen.



Mr. Complimentary / A.K.A. Owen
Lately, Owen is soooo complimentary. He is just full of compliments all the time. This has been going on for a few weeks now, so it appears to not just be a flighty passing short-lived phase. Owen just loves to give compliments. And the best part about it is that he seems completely and utterly sincere with his generous complimentary gestures. I actually truly think he really does feel these things-- he's not just saying them because of the (adoring) reaction he gets. He compliments people regularly. "Mommy, I love your shoes!" "Papi, I love your pants!" "Alex, I love your necklace, it is so beautiful! Alex, you are so beautiful!" "Hi! Oh! I love your eyes!" "Your car is so nice!" "I love this food Mommy! Thank you for this yummy in my tummy supper Mommy! This is my favorite mommy!" "Oh, Papi, I love your earring!" It isn't excessive; it doesn't sound over-done when he does it; it feels like you're getting a true compliment. Everyone that has conversed with me about this (which is several people) tells me that they truly feel so flattered when he does it. Somehow he just spreads the joy and spreads the love. Owen is Mr. Complimentary.
Mr. Inclusivity / A.K.A. Kyle
Lately, Kyle is soooo inclusive. He just seems to truly live by the motto "the more the merrier" all the time in all endeavors with all activities whether they are large or small, spectacularly special or mundane. This too has been going on for a few weeks now, so it appears to not just be a flighty passing short-lived phase. Kyle just loves to welcome people in and embrace them into his life. He seems to genuinely want to include people in all that there is to be included in. And, again, as with Owen, the best part about this is that Kyle seems completely and utterly sincere with his generous inclusive gestures. I actually truly think he really does feel that he wants to invite people to join him in these things-- he's not just including them because of the (adoring/surprised) reaction he gets. He is incredibly inclusive toward people regularly. "I'm having my birthday party on May 8th! You can come?!" "We are going to the grocery store now. You want to come with us?!" "You want to come to our house and watch a video?" "I have good pasta Mama. You want to have some with me?" "Come on Papi! Let's go play!" "Hi! What's your name? You want to try my ice cream?" "We're going on vacation! On a big airplane! You can come with us!!!" It isn't excessive; it doesn't sound over-done when he does it; it feels like you're truly being included in something special. You feel special. Everyone that has conversed with me about this (which is, again, several people) tells me that they truly feel so flattered when he does it -- like Kyle is including them in his "inner circle" -- like Kyle is genuinely living out an open heart and an inclusive spirit. Somehow he just spreads the joy and spreads the love. Kyle is Mr. Inclusivity.

No comments: