Monday, April 09, 2007

Totally, Completely, Utterly Unprecedented

Tonight we ate dinner at 6:30, like we usually do. Usually after dinner the boys play for awhile before it is time to go upstairs for bed around 8:00. This after-dinner-playtime seems to be one of Kyle's absolute favorite parts of the day. Tonight, however he did something 100% unheard of. This has never, ever, ever before happened in our household -- never ever. The boys had just finished their dinner and had just begun playing. They were blowing bubbles (one of their absolute favorite things to do) with their new Dora and Diego bubble buckets that the Easter Bunny brought (definitely their favorite of all the things The Bunny left in their baskets). At exactly 7:10 Kyle put down his bubble wand, walked over to me, crawled up into my lap, and said: "Mommy, it's time to go upstairs and read books. It's time for night night. I'm tired." Braydon and I looked at each other in complete shock. Braydon was literally speechless. With wide gaping eyes I looked skeptically at my child. I said, "Kyle, you want to go to bed now?" He cuddled up close, shoved his thumb in his mouth, started sucking it vigorously, and said: "Yes, I'm ready for bed now. Let's go upstairs." I immediately took him up, Braydon followed a couple of minutes later with Owen --- who did not protest this early - to - bed anomaly in the least, and both went down without even the tiniest hint of protest. Our boy asked to go to bed. This is a First. A big First. A big First to be noted.

No comments: