Saturday, June 09, 2007

"Healthy" (or, in other words: outrageously huge) Appetites

O & K, yesterday morning snack


K & O, today lunch

Many times on this blog I've mentioned Kyle and Owen's eating habits. These boys can eat. Pediatricians and children's health books and articles on child nutrition all go on and on about it -- GROWTH SPURTS. I know I've said something similar before, but I've got to say it again: My boys started what I guess you could call a crazy "growth spurt" the day we met them and they have never exited that "spurt." They have been growing non-stop and eating what I (and others who witness it) consider excessive amounts of food in a constant state since they were eight months old. Since their last day of daycare (May 22) they've been eating even crazier-than-usual amounts of food. I am not sure what is going on here. It may be because they are more physically active now than they were while in daycare (not that they ever weren't active -- God knows, they're always active -- but since ending daycare they've been even more SUPER physically active because they have more time/space/ability to do what they love: play outside doing what could best be described as a 3-year-old version of EXTREME SPORTS). So, maybe their latest over-the-top eating binge is related to the fact that while we were on vacation and since being home the boys have been so "active." Or perhaps it has something to do with the actual ending of daycare. Were they more deeply unhappy there than we knew? Are they now feeling so good that it is manifesting itself in their appetites/eating/physical selves? (not that they ever didn't eat a lot -- they've always eaten a TON, but right now they're just eating soooo much)... Or maybe it is just simply a coincidence... maybe they're just eating more right now because like all of us they go through phases of eating more or less, and maybe it has nothing to do with the end of daycare?? I know one thing: it has nothing to do with a "growth spurt" -- their doctor's visits chart it quite clearly: they've been growing consistently with no breaks ever. Regardless of the reason, let me just say this: THEY ARE EATING A TON. Just to give you an idea... Here is what they have eaten just in the past 24 hours:
  • Yesterday before lunch (morning snack) the boys each ate an Odwalla Carrot and Raisin Food Bar, and they each drank a sippie cup of apple juice.
  • Yesterday for lunch they went out to eat with Alex and her roommate Esther. Alex reported that the boys "ate more pizza than either she or Esther." She said they each ate 2.5 slices. I absolutely have no doubt whatsoever that they did. I've seen them eat that much pizza in one sitting many, many times.
  • Afternoon snack -- I have no idea what Alex gave them (I'm sure she gave them some snacks), but between the time that I got home from work and when they ate dinner they each ate a sugar-free fudgsicle, a glass of cranberry juice, about 1/4 cup of cashews, and they shared a bag of microwave popcorn.
  • Dinner -- Between the two of them they ate an entire box of Annie's Shells and White Cheddar (mac n cheese), about 3/4 cup of peas (3/4 cup EACH), they each ate 1/2 a pear, and they shared 1/4 pound of turkey. In addition, they each drank a sippie cup full of whole milk.
  • Today, Pre-breakfast snack -- They each drank between 1-3 sippie cups of whole milk (their normal/daily morning milk chugging). Braydon gave it to them, so I don't know for sure how much. They each ate a Nutrigrain Cereal Bar.
  • Breakfast -- They each ate a banana, a bunch of french toast, and 2 sippie cups of orange juice (each).
  • Lunch -- They each ate 1/2 a sandwich (turkey, cheese, mayo on whole wheat bread), and they each ate about 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, a handful of raw red pepper slices, a few pickles, a handful of potato chips, and a juice box.
  • Note: they are napping right now, but before their nap Kyle told me that when he wakes up he wants to "eat yogurt and Fig Newtons." I'm sure he will.

Really I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I thought I should document it for history's sake. If they are ever winning food-eating-contests I can at least have recorded proof that it all started right at the very beginning. And I've got to believe that this will help when someday in the future I make a claim to some of their winnings in exchange for the fact that I had to constantly provide the steady stream of food that set them up for their Winning Life.

4 comments:

PowersTwinB said...

Your boys are just adorable! I admire the love and care in youre being thier momma...May God bless you and yours for a lifetime! I just happened across your site, and as usual, am drawn toward TWIN anything, as I too am a twin. I am 56 yrs old, and my twin and I have always had each other by our sides if not in person, in our hearts...It is a special bond your boys will forever have, Twincerely, Becci (twin B)

happy mom said...

just came across your blog, and I have to say consider yourself lucky. my kids eat very poorly, and very picky! My son who is just a month older than your twins has had some spurts, but even then he doesn't eat that much.

Your boys are darling too! I will have to come back and check your blog again.

insanemommy said...

Healthy is the word often used to describe my little "twinkies"! ha ha. They do love to eat. Just this morning they ate a full cup of fresh fruit. Then a yougurt, followed by fresh baked (daddy's speciality) orange danishes. They each ate a whole danish. They normally will eat an egg in place of danish, however it was a special treat today. Cousin Ron in from Florida. They haven't even had lunch yet! Yeah, my little girls can eat.... Be glad your cuties are not picky eaters.

Rony

tara said...

Your boys are adorable, my twins from China eat all the time as well , foods that most kids will not.