Thursday, September 06, 2007

3 Overheard Conversations

Yesterday afternoon, playing at home after their first day of school, K & O were clearly just so happy to be just the two of them again. After 3.5 months of no daycare and twin-brother-togetherness, their morning at school seemed to be just enough of a break from the duo-intensity that they were relishing the afternoon of playing alone together. They wanted me to be right there, but not necessarily involved in what they were doing at any given moment. They were just loving each other's company, playing, and carrying on like best buds the whole afternoon. I spent most of the time savoring the moment and trying hard to let what I was overhearing sink in deep so I would be able to remember it. The nice-ness of it all was over-the-top but you have to imagine that they were completely sincere in every word. Tone of total, utter, utmost respect, adoration, and brotherly love. This conversation took place when they were playing in the driveway with a broom they found in the garage~~~
Owen: Excuse me, Kyle, excuse me. Can I please play with that broom now?
Kyle: Um. No thank you Owen. But, thank you for asking!! [keeps playing]
Owen: Excuse me, Kyle. Can I please play that broom?? Very very very please?
Kyle: Um. O.k. Owen. Your turn Owen!
Owen: Oh! Thank you Kyle!
Kyle: You're welcome Owen!
Owen: How to do it Kyle? How to do it?
Kyle: I will show you Owen. [demonstrates sweeping]
Owen: Oh, o.k.! Let me try. [he does it]
Kyle: There you go! You got it! YOU GOT IT!!! YAY OWEN!
Owen: Thank you Kyle! Thank you very much!

* * *

Yesterday afternoon I was with the boys at the pool. We had gone into the house to get snacks, and were heading back out. As we walked through the door onto the deck this is what I heard~~~
Kyle: Hi bugs!
Owen: Hi bugs! Hi!
Kyle: Owen, you like bugs?
Owen: No Kyle. I don't like bugs. We don't like bugs.
Kyle: No, we don't like bugs!
Owen: But we are still nice to them.
Kyle: Bugs, we don't like you.
Owen: Hi bugs! We don't love you bugs!
Kyle: WE DON'T LOVE YOU BUGS!
Owen: Hi bugs! We don't love you bugs!
Kyle: Hi bugs! We don't love you bugs!
Owen: Hi bugs! We're not happy to see you bugs!
Kyle: We don't love you bugs!
~~~by that point we were back at the pool and they embarked on their snacks.

* * *

This morning, on the drive to school. Braydon and I listening from the front seat~~~
Kyle: Owen, I have a surprise for you!
Owen: You do Kyle?!
Kyle: Yes! It is a present! Don't look! Close your eyes! I will give it to you!
[Owen pretends to close his eyes]
Kyle: Here you go Owen! Here's the present! Here it is!!! [pretending to give him something -- this is totally make-believe and he's 'handing' Owen something in thin air]
Owen: Thank you Kyle!!!!! [pretending to take 'it' into his own hands]
Kyle: You know what it is Owen?! It is a trombone!
Owen: Yes! It is a trombone!
Kyle: You like it Owen? You love it?
Owen: Yes! I like it Kyle! I like it! I like it! I like it!
Kyle: It is a very big huge trombone for you Owen!
Owen: It is a very very BIG trombone! You see my BIG HUGE trombone?!
Kyle: And it is super loud! You can do loud trombone music. And it is a tuba!!!!
Owen: Yes! It is a tuba! A trombone and a tuba!!!!
Kyle: I have to go to work to get my trombone. My trombone is at my work.
Owen: Me too Kyle! We have to go to our works to get our trombones.
Kyle: Our trombones are at ours office.
Owen: Yes!
Kyle: My trombone is at my office. And I will go to Owen's office to see Owen's trombone!
Owen: Yes Kyle! We will both go to our works and we will drive there.
Kyle: You want to drive Owen? You? Or me?
Owen: I will drive it and you will come with me. O.k. Kyle?!
Kyle: OKAY OWEN!!!!

8 comments:

hazel said...

Ha Ha!! Siblings are the best! Thanks for sharing these little snippets - too cute!

Glen and Andrea said...

Absolutely priceless!! Wonderful.

Single PAP said...

Love when you post conversations! and while i was reading i said to myself... 'ok laura, really, just adopt one baby now... that's all you can handle. you can do twins later on when you're married!"

LaLa said...

they are so sweet together...you guys are definitely doing something right!

Mamato2 said...

One of the subjects I teach is drama, and they have one of the rules for good improv down pat- always accept the situation given! A trombone tuba at the office! lmao :)

insanemommy said...

Omg Heather. I nearly pee'd myself. That is so darn cute. And make believe already?!?! Holy moly. Too cute!

happy mom said...

they are so cute!

love your vacation shots, beautiful!

and the first day of school how precious.

Anonymous said...

They are so sweet! So sweet!

They don't like bugs but they're still nice to them! Ha! You must be teaching them well.

Pumpkin says that Kyle is Lightning McQueen and Owen is Doc because they're wearing red and blue...