Thursday, October 04, 2007

One of those funny adoption comments

I was at school today dropping off the boys and we had all kinds of drama. Someone had smelled gas around 7:30 and called the fire dept. There were three enormous fire trucks that K&O&I watched. I held them up to look in side; they loved it.

Everyone was hanging around back waiting for the all clear and I met another father whom I had not met before. Heather sometimes gets comments like the following, but I rarely do. The conversation went like this (every one knows K&O of course):

Father: Which one is this, Kyle or Owen?
Me: This one is Kyle - his face is a little longer than Owen's.
Father: Oh. They're twins, right? I have twins - you have my sympathy! [jokingly]
Me: Oh, yeah - no kidding - how old are your twins?
Father: 7...
Me: Oh wow - Kyle and Owen are 3....
Father: Wow - 3??? - they are huge. I can't imagine what your wife went through!

I pause, not sure exactly how to respond.

Me: They're adopted.
Father: Ah, ok. My other son is adopted too.

6 comments:

LaLa said...

That cracks me up!!! For once isn't it nice that it just didn't matter?

Life in Fitzville said...

Too funny!

I had a not so nice one today that was going to blog about later. Some people.... sheesh!

Mamato2 said...

:)

lori shepler - said...

i had a comment said to me one time when i was out shopping with kiara (from haiti) - this gentleman was talking about how cute she was, etc. & said, "are you her mom?" - i said, "yes" - he said, "well she sure is cute & man, her daddy must be VERY dark!" - i said, "oh, he is!"

(it's true, her haitian papa's VERY dark!)

lori

jayme said...

When I'm out alone with my twins, almost everyone assumes that they're biological. I'm routinely asked about the pregnancy, and my stock answer is that I got off pretty easy.

I'm not sure if it's due to the community we live in, but I kind of like the fact that it's just assumed that families don't always "match".

insanemommy said...

People truly amaze me. lol.