Sunday, March 16, 2008

Today at Lowe's

Today we were at Lowe's to get a couple of things. Owen said he had to go potty-- badly, so I left Braydon to look for the item we were looking for, and I took off with the boys to find the bathroom. I was pushing a cart, Owen and Kyle were hanging off of either side of it. Quickly making my way down one long isle I could see two black women up ahead. One was middle age, the other older. They looked like mother and daughter. As I approached them I said, "Excuse me!" so that they'd move out of the way in order for us to pass by. They scooted to the side so that I could forge ahead, quickly through the isle. Just as we were passing by them Owen yells out: "Mommy! Those two ladies are black just like us!!!" I nodded to him and smiled. The two women tried to igore us. Again, now just barely past them, Owen yelled again: "MOMMY!!! THOSE TWO LADIES ARE BLACK! JUST LIKE US!!!!!!!" At this point the older women couldn't restrain herself any longer. She stepped back into the center of the isle, turned toward our cart, smiled huge, and waved to K & O. The boys smiled hugely back, and waved back to the nice lady, jumping up and down on the cart. I smiled and waved at her too as we made our way toward the bathroom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love it! what a cute story!!! who couldn't love K&O? we sure do!
xoxo
lori

junglemama said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

T and T Livesay said...

You probably remember this story ... but when we first got to Haiti from white,white Minnesota Hope was in the truck on the way out to our new home and she said, "These people match me" --- she was just newly four at the time.

Such cute little people, aren't they!?!?!?!?

We have never introduced the birth father concept either. .. our kids are both 6 and it is still not time for that.

Prayers for you guys -- :)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This same thing has happened with us. I think it was pretty common around when Buddy was 3 and 4. We always had a good reception from other Blacks too. It's a happy thing.

Anonymous said...

what a fun story. do go to my site
blackmanjewishlady.com
hit enter, then blog...
I wrote a book
The Black Man The Jewish Lady and the road trip.
I think you will enjoy