Monday, May 05, 2008

Who wroted that music down?

We like to expose K & O to a wide variety of music. I in particular like them to hear lots of "classical" music for a whole bunch of reasons. I tend to do this in the car - where I have a captive audience! :) Fortunately they are totally into it. Here is a list of some of their current favorite "classical" (only two of these are actually classical) music:

  1. O Fortuna - Carl Orff
  2. Short Ride on a Fast Machine - John Adams
  3. Symphony #9, 2nd and 4th movements - Beethoven
  4. Eine Kline Nacthmusick - Mozart
  5. Alexander Nevsky - Prokofiev
  6. Variations on "Simple Gifts" - Copland
  7. Fanfare for the common man - Copland
  8. Overture to Candide - Bernstein
  9. Now lettest thou be thy servant - the Glinka Choir, Lenningrad

And if I can figure out how to get my MP3 player to work in the car better, there will be a lot more soon.

So we were in the car the other day listening to "The Germans fall through the ice" (I don't know what the real title is) from Alexander Nevsky and Owen says:

O: "Papi, I like that!!!"
P: "Oh good, I am glad to hear it!"
O: "Papi, who wroted that music down?"

I was stunned. I told him and tried to plumb the depths of his brain to figure out how he knew to ask that. I have been trying to say "this piece is by so and so" but I never put it into those terms. I mean - it's really nutty when you think about. To get there, here's what he had to do:

  1. Realize that we were listening to a recording of a performance of music (which is not an object unto itself)
  2. Realize that the music was performed by a group of people
  3. Understand that the music doesn't just happen, that it is planned
  4. Understand that someone had to plan it (or "compose" is as the case may be)
  5. Realize that the planning of it comes before the performance, which comes before the recording
  6. Realize that in order for the plan to be executed, it must be communicated, and that is most likely on paper (like reading books)
  7. Realize that someone who (most likely planned it) had to write it down on paper to give to the people performing.
Now, I am no cognitive development expert, and I realize this is normal, but wow - it's so cool when you get to see this kind of thing happens!

O: "Papi, who wroted that music down?"

No comments: