Wednesday, June 18, 2008

5 to 7


There are lots of baby sister thoughts, feelings and activity going on these days. Lots of baby holding, lots of trying to get her to smile, lots of worrying why she is crying, lots of diaper changing, lots of worrying how it's all going to get done.

Meera is pretty good about sleeping at night, although not without challenges, of course. She eats around 10 PM, then again around 2 AM, then again around 4:30 AM. She's pretty much text book on the clock 2.5 hour feeding. Rocking it. Does not always go right back to sleep. Not rocking it.

I have never been much of an early morning person, as my parents can attest and Heather can certainly attest. But after the 4:30 feeding when she is ready to hang out and not sleep, I get up and we hang out; Heather tries to get a little more sleep (since, even though she is recovering from a c-section and nasty cold she gets the least sleep of everyone in the house). So now we even are starting to have a little routine!

M and I go downstairs, and she gets into her bouncy bjorn chair. It's like a big man's lay-z-boy but for the under-1 set. We watch the light get brighter outside. We get up, go outside and watch the sunrise. We talk politics, shop, burps and diapers. It's a little one sided, but like the rest of our family, Meera is no slouch when it comes to making herself and opinion known. Inside we go, play a little "wheels on the bus" and sometimes the bus gets a little sidetracked.

Then when she is tired around 6:00 AM, it's down the basement to shield the rest of the family from her loud crying and my cooing to help her fall asleep. Sometimes by 6:30 she is asleep, sometimes not. At 7 she goes up to Heather for breakfast, and typically the boys are up and raring to go.

This morning Kyle was up first and he and I had a great breakfast. We chatted it up. That kid has the most amazing memory. A few months ago I casually remarked that he was going to lose his teeth and get new ones (yes, I did say that, I know - what was I thinking???). He, of course, asked when and I said when he is 7. Never came up again. This morning, after talking about how when he's 5 he gets to play golf (particularly important since Tiger just won the US Open with a bum knee), he says: And When I am 7, I will lose my teeth and get new ones! Big ones Papi? Yes, big ones. Big big big grin.

Big grins all around when it can be like this.

3 comments:

Schwartz kids said...

I think it is great how you embrace the time spent with your daughter. (Even if it is early in the morning) Babies stay small for such a short time. You will never regret this time together.

kirbmom said...

Some of my favorite memories are the middle of the night and very early morning feedings. When my first child was born I would stay awake for a while after her middle of the night feeding and rock with her watching her sleep.

When my twins were born, it was essential to keep them on a schedule and feed them together just so I could survive.

Sometimes, though, I would cheat and if one of them was sleeping in the middle of the night I would just feed the other and enjoy our time alone.

Those were hard times being so sleep deprived and having two very needy babies and 1 very energetic toddler. Now I have 2 energetic toddlers and a preschooler. And I miss those snuggly days. My toddlers and preschooler and too busy to snuggle for long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Chatter said...

This post is so beautiful. Our little guy is 2 weeks younger than Meera so we are going through much of the same. I wish I could get past the exhaustion that early in the morning and embrace my little man all by himself. But right now I'm in survival mode. Sounds like you are taking great care of Heather, Meera and the boys. Great pool pics by the way!! Your family is beautiful :)