Friday, November 07, 2008

Mazes



Owen and Kyle love mazes. Owen was really the first to start this love-affair, but Kyle quickly caught on to it too. And now they are equally enamored. They've been loving doing mazes for about a year now. They've gone through many books of mazes-- some simple and some more complex. We are currently in a phase where the boys do mazes almost every morning before school. My mind sometimes wanders while I'm watching them do mazes. The symbolism of mazes-- as an analogy to life-- captures my thinking and I find myself pondering where we've been, and wondering where we're going.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to do mazes too! I makes you really think. Oh and I thought Owen was left handed?

Heather said...

Mary-- wow, you are so observant!!! We thought for a long time that Owen is left handed. Lately we don't know. His kindergarten teacher says he is "not yet hand dominant" (which, I think, is basically another way of saying that he is currently ambidextrous). He eats holding his fork in his right hand, and as you can see he writes (and paints, etc.) with his right hand. He bats and golfs lefty. He rides the scooter lefty. He sucks his left thumb. When he throws (a ball, or a rock into a lake, etc.) he switches back and forth and can throw with either hand/arm.
Thanks for asking!
Heather

Anonymous said...

My kids have always loved mazes and still do them periodically. They love going into the mazes itself when our local orchard opens up for the season.

I think it is neat that Owen is either or handed. My son was that way forever before he finally became the official lefthander of the family.

Love and Hugs,
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Thats really cool that he can use both hands! When I was looking at your old post, I saw that he was using his left hand when he was golfing,( I was also very impressed that they can hit the ball so far!) so I had to ask. Thanks for answering my question!

Elyssium Earth said...

Apparently doing or walking through mazes or "labyrinths" is an ancient celtic art of problem solving?! :)