Thursday, March 26, 2009

Food Week Q & A (Recipes: Penne with Turkey Sausage and Broccoli Rabe)

Christina said... If you feel like sharing that penne/turkey sausage/broccoli rabe recipe, I'd be much obliged!
*
H. said... ...Also, can you share your recipe for the penne/turkey/broccoli rabe? It looks awesome! Thanks,Hope
*
Tiz said... Hello from sunny Australia! Loving your blog as always, there is nothing better than watching kids enjoy healthy food! I would like to second the request for the recipe of your Turkey, Broccoli, Pasta dish, it looks wonderful!! Thanks again, Tamsin
*
*
*
Penne with Turkey Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

I made up this recipe based on a dish I ate at a restaurant called Ciao in Basking Ridge, NJ. Since I totally made this up I don't have precise measurements or anything, but here is what I do:

1 box penne (can use whole wheat or regular or whatever you like)
1 package of lean turkey sausage, sweet Italian style
1 big bunch of fresh broccoli rabe
olive oil
fresh garlic (about 2-3 cloves, chopped)
salt, pepper, dried oregano
fresh good quality parmesan cheese

Get big pot of water boiling. Place large saute pan over medium heat. While pan is heating up, remove sausage from casings and crumble into bite-sized pieces. Add some olive oil to the hot pan (maybe about 1 tablespoon). Add sausage and garlic to pan. Season with salt, pepper, oregano to taste. Stir occasionally until sausage is cooked through and fully crumbled. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water, seasoned with salt to taste. While sausage and pasta are cooking, chop up broccoli rabe into pieces about 2-3 inches long (I use the stems, leaves, crowns, and all). About 3-4 minutes before pasta is fully cooked, add broccoli rabe to the pot with the boiling pasta. Continue to boil until pasta is done al dente and broccoli rabe is just cooked through (tender, but still firm). Strain pasta and broccoli rabe from the water, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Mix together the pasta, broccoli rabe, and sausage mixture from the pan. If it seems too dry, add the 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and/or more olive oil. Serve with freshly grated parmesan. Yum!

1 comment:

anyhoo said...

Hello,

I am coming out of lurking in response to your request. However, I am not a parent, nor would I consider myself the healthiest of eaters - 100 percent of the time. But, something I have found useful when I used to host dinner parties or babysit were individual pizzas. Either purchase the pre-made crusts (individual size or family size) - I prefer individual for the purposes of the party - or make your own pizza dough, depending on how much time you have. (It could even be a project to do before the kids head off to school or with their nanny in the afternoon, perhaps?) Then, each person is responsible for making their own pizza with their own favourite toppings. Sometimes, for a dinner party, I would ask guests to bring their own favourite topping - leaving me with only having to provide salad and dessert. Also, my preference for the individual size crusts is because several pizzas can cook at once, leaving people not having to wait for the oven.

Since your twins seem to love cooking/creating this might be an idea right up their alley.

As an fellow academic, I truly enjoy reading your blog and thinking about the future when I might also have career and family.

Many thanks for your honesty and willingness to share,

liz (anyhoo)