Monday, November 09, 2009

Concentration: 17-Month-Old Version


When Kyle and Owen were Meera's age they loved this "game" that I invented for them: pushing wooden popsicle sticks through the slight slit of an old Clorox Wipes container. I can remember spending what seemed like hours upon hours sitting on the floor with K & O, watching them -- with full concentration -- working hard to carefully push popsicle stick after popsicle stick into that plastic container. A couple of weekends ago, while digging for "new toys" for Meera in the big bin of hand-me-downs in the basement, I found that old baby game. I had forgotten all about it, but I knew immediately that Meera would love it. She sat on my lap while Owen taught her how to do it. Since then I have spent hours upon hours sitting on the floor with Meera, watching her -- with full concentration -- working hard to carefully push popsicle stick after popsicle stick into that plastic container.

1 comment:

TGR101 said...

We loved games like this to work on fine motor skills (and fun.) Another one was to bury small treasures in a huge bin of dried kidney beans. My twins would have to dig through the beans to see what they could fine. It was a supervised activity only as the beans and the treasures are both choking hazards, but it was tons of fun for them when they came up with something!