Wednesday, June 04, 2008

And out there in the rest of the world...

These days at the Johnson-McCormick Homestead it feels like it is all about Us, Us, Us, Us, Us (and/or all about Meera, Meera, Meera, Meera, Meera)... sometimes it is hard for us to remember... there's a whole big world out there happening. ;-0 And a small little piece of that world is the status of life here in the country we reside in. So, just to be sure that we remember a tiny bit of what else was going on during this time...
Here's the good news & the bad news (from our particular perspective, of course):

  • Good news: Barack Obama, our nation's sole black senator, its fifth ever, has clinched the Democratic Nomination for President!!! Folks, we just might be able to tell our boys that we have a black president... much sooner in their lifecourse than I, for one, would have ever imagined!!! This is a happy happy day with the J-M's (at least as far as we two J-M parents are concerned)!!! read this Philadelphia Inquirer article -- click here
  • Bad news: Unfortunately, it is not all rosy rosy rosy. For example, read this Washington Post article entitled Black Men Quietly Combating Stereotypes -- click here

P.S. Don't worry, I plan to post about Us, Us, Us, Us, Us (and Meera, Meera, Meera, Meera, Meera) later. At 10:21 tonight Meera will be one week old and my birth experience will be one week behind me. I've taken some time away from the blog to bond with my baby and sort out my thoughts and feelings. But you'll be hearing from me soon!

1 comment:

Mark and Sarah said...

Looking forward to hearing about your birth experience and mothering a daughter, Heather. I love your insights. Also, as a fellow mom of an AA son, I couldn't be more ecstatic abouit BO's nomination.